Saturday, 16 May 2020
Founded as a mission church of Holy Trinity Church on the Broadway, the first temporary building was opened in 1883. A growing congregation soon required something more permanent, and architect William Henry Lowdell delivered a competent if unremarkable neo-gothic design in red brick with sandstone detailing, featuring an impressive 8-light west window about the main doorway. The building was consecrated in 1909, and St Andrew's became a parish in its own right in 1910.
The interior has a nave with 4 bays of arcades, with wide pointed arches on round piers, and a Lady Chapel. Most of the glass is clear: the east window contains images of Christ enthroned flanked with the patron saints of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
The church has a traditional service at 9am and a more informal service at 10:30, with a 'play and praise' service especially aimed at parents with young children at 10:00 - full details are on their website.
St Andrew, Herbert Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 3TJ