Sunday, 9 August 2015

Old Church of St John, Greatham

Greatham is a comfortable little village with two churches: one mediaeval one, part ruin, which is no longer in use as a church and now maintained by the village; and a short distance away, an imposing Victorian replacement.

The old church had an aiseless nave and chancel. The nave is now ruinous and roofless, though the walls survive to sufficient height to get an idea of the arrangement. The west window as attractive Y-tracery.

The chancel has a tiled roof and cement-rendered walls (on malmstone and ironstone),
and an 18th century chancel arch. Items of interest include a  Jacobean communion rail, an old font bowl, and 18th and 19th century wall monuments. But the prize is a lovely classical table tomb, dedicated to Dame Marjory Caryll (d. 1632), surmounted by a delightful recumbent effigy.

A key to the chancel may be obtained from local villagers - details on the noticeboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment